Amherst Railway Society
The next meeting of the Amherst Railway Society will be 8 pm (silent auction from 6 pm to 8 pm) EDT Tuesday, June 18, 2013, at the Amherst Regional Middle School Auditorium.
"Conrail SD80MAC and CSX SD70Ace"
by Patrick Hildreth
Pat Hildreth will present a Medium Format slide show in two parts, first part on the "Conrail Cadillac' SD80MAC ,and second part on the rare CSX SD70 Ace, both in action in the ledges of the Berkshires eastern slope.
Pat has been been a lifelong railfan and a railfan photographer in the valley and sometimes further afield since the spring of 1970.
Since about 1997 I've specialized in chronicling the action on slide film ,both 35mm & medium format, up in the ledges area of the old B & A ; getting up there on average three times a month for an all day photo session.
The June 18th meeting is the Amherst Railway Society Annual Business Meeting and Silent Auction
Message from the Show Director:
You should know me by now! Around this time of the year, I just have two words for you:
And, make note that this is the biggest and best in our 5-year history. Yes, we have been doing this for 5 years, making this Auction our 6th ever. Over these years, we have been able to raise an additional 4-plus thousand dollars to assist our grant program! Not bad considering that approximately 90% of the items are donated to us at the Show and throughout the year.
I think many know the routine by now: We will begin just after set up. This year we are arriving early as this is the biggest and best collection to date! My best estimates are that we will be totally ready to go by 6pm, giving all of our “bidders” a full two hours of fun before the final meeting. We will close promptly at 8:00 pm and while we are conducting our meeting, we will tabulate results, allowing for pickup just afterward.
As in the past, this is your chance to pick up some great stuff (many items are new), and all are at ridiculously low prices. Items include the following:
- A huge New Haven Collection, including many sound locos (over 30 of them)!
- Craftsman kits
- Scenery materials
- MRC throttles
- Dozens of cars HO and N scale(freight and passenger as well as cabooses) most with Kadee Couplers.
- The usual amount of books and magazines
- Many O-scale collections of post war and modern Lionel. This will include many cars, accessories and track (we have too much track!!!)
- The 4X6 “Morgan Valley Layout,” valued well over $2,000.00 (there’s 500 dollars in kits alone on this layout). This ready to run layout was donated back to us by the winner of the raffle layout a few years back. Bidding will start low on this but there will be a reserve to guarantee the value.
- Many “buy now” cars and kits.
This will be the biggest finish to our “Season” since we’ve been doing these auctions. So, come early and be ready to bid…I look forward to seeing you there!
John Sacerdote, Show Director